Sky have been teasing this for the last few months and its now finally available on both Android and iOS for free and for the foreseeable future it will remain free according to Sky.. You can also watch it on your Ger VR and Oculus Rift which is excellent.. So far the app looks great…..
The app, available now for anyone to download for free, showcases a range of immersive, 360-degree videos from Sky, and the best content from Sky’s partners including Star Wars: Red Carpet, Anthony Joshua: Becoming World Champion and clips from Disney’s The Jungle Book.
Gary Davey, Managing Director, Content at Sky, commented: “Interest in VR content is building, generating more excitement every day. We are just at the beginning of our VR journey at Sky, launching Sky VR studios earlier this year and we are already breaking new ground. Now comes the creative challenge of deploying this immersive experience with engaging story-telling. I am a big believer.”
Stephen Nuttall, Senior Director at Google and YouTube, says: “Great storytelling from Sky, in VR, for free on YouTube, and all accessible through Google Cardboard – a winning combination! Whether you’re passionate for sports or Beckham (or both!), this great partnership enables wonderful VR experiences for all to enjoy.”
- Star Wars: Red Carpet (Sky Cinema) – get closer to the red carpet at the premiere of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Anthony Joshua: Becoming World Champion – see Anthony as you have never seen him before, as he becomes IBF world heavyweight champion
- Disney – two VR experiences from The Jungle Book, enabling viewers to get up close and personal with King Louie and Kaa
- Fox Innovation Lab – The Martian Sneak Peek – transports viewers to Mars to follow the film’s protagonist Mark Watney after he has been stranded on the planet
- Warner Brothers – Suicide Squad: Squad 360 – viewers can see what it’s like being a member of the Suicide Squad during a scene from the film
- Team Sky – Journey to the Tour – follow the team preparing for their third Tour de France
- F1® – Team Williams – lets fans go behind the scenes of the Williams team, in the pit lane and in car viewing
- Sky News – Calais: The Jungle – taking viewers to the centre of the refugee crisis with footage from inside ‘The Jungle’
- Baobab Studios – Invasion – a VR animation about a duo of aliens aiming to take over the world, but needing to overcome two fearsome white bunny rabbits
- Jaunt – Paul McCartney: Dance Tonight – Paul takes viewers through the charming creation story of this song, and its music video
On testing the app there tonight its quite nice it must be said and being a big VR fan here with around 20 headsets at hand (We will have to just get an Official Sky one next) hint hint, its a welcome addition for fans to check out.. On starting the app you can have the choice of watching it either on your mobile device or using Goggle Cardboard. As always the best option is a headset of choice and a good pair of headphones.. There is a nice selection of content to begging here and I look forward to see what the future here will be like,Its Sky we cant be disappointed …