This is more common sense than myth, but it’s worth noting modern smartphones are designed to optimise foreground “tasks” while others harmlessly float in the background. From 5G conspiracy theories to radiation poisoning, OnBuy’s mobile phone department conducted a survey to find out the mobile phone myths Brits believe the most and asked us to share it.
When it comes to mobile phone batteries, OnBuy found the number one thing Brits believe is: apps running in the background use up battery. In fact, 87% of those surveyed believe this is true.
While this is more common sense than myth, it’s worth remembering modern smartphones are designed to optimise foreground “tasks” while others harmlessly float in the background.
Another common belief is overcharging a phone damages the battery (39%) or charging your phone overnight is bad for it (34%).
However, contrary to popular belief, modern smartphones contain chips to prevent charge overload. If your phone uses a lithium-ion battery, the current stops once its fully charged.
Worryingly, Brits admit they have heard the following urban myths – but are yet to put them to the test!
You can cook an egg by placing it between two mobile phones – 6%
Never use a mobile when there’s a lightning storm – 19%
You can charge an iPhone in 20 seconds using a microwave oven – 25%
Myths included in OnBuy.com’s survey can be seen below OR see the full blog post HERE
- Apps running in the background use up battery 87%
- A screen protector will stop your phone getting scratched 77%
- Taking out your SIM card keeps you from being tracked 75%
- More megapixels = better camera 66%
- You can dry a wet phone in a bag of rice 66%
- Phones interfere with hospitals and planes 43%
- Overcharging a phone damages the battery 39%
- Charging your phone overnight is bad for it 34%
- You shouldn’t keep your phone in the same pocket as a credit card 31%
- Having a phone near your private parts can reduce sperm count / fertility 31%
- Incognito mode protects your privacy 30%
- Smartphones give off dangerous radiation 29%
- Mobile phone use near a petrol pump can cause an explosion 26%
- You shouldn’t use your phone while it’s charging 24%
- A bigger battery means longer battery life 21%
- You should drain your battery completely before charging 18%
- Free Wi-Fi is safe to use 5%
To achieve the results OnBuy.com sent out a survey to 3,446 British people. 50% of respondents that took part are male, 45% are female and 5% identify as “other.”