CCTV traditionally has been fitted on a bracket facing one direction with some pan tilt zoom options. The Netgear Arlo Pro changes this status quo in its 100% wire-free, weatherproof, rechargeable HD smart security camera with audio and 130° viewing angle.
The unit initial observation was the weight of the unit, solid and heavy for the size of the camera.
(2) Arlo Pro smart security cameras
(2) Rechargeable batteries
(1) Base station with built-in siren
(1) Power adapter
(1) Power cable
(1) Ethernet cable
(2) Wall mounts
(1) Wall mount screw set
(1) Quick start guide
(1) Window decal
Smart Features Overview
- Live stream and watch recordings
130° Viewing Angle
- See more of every moment with a 130° wide-angle lens.
- Long lasting rechargeable batteries take the expense out of uninterrupted security.
- Listen in and talk back through the built-in speaker and mic, straight from your smartphone.
Advanced Motion Detection
- Wide-angle PIR motion sensor makes sure no movement will slip through without your notice.
- Integrated night vision automatically switches on at night to shed light on the smallest wonders.
Free Cloud Storage
- Don’t pay for cloud storage that you don’t need. Keep 7 days of motion- and audio-triggered recordings for free.
Local Backup Storage
- Connect a USB drive to the Arlo Pro base station for optional local backup storage.
- Stop crime before it happens with a 100+ decibel siren that can be controlled remotely or triggered by motion or audio.
Flexible Powering Options
- Use it wire-free or plugged in. The choice is yours.
Camera Technical Spec:
- Video resolution Configurable up to 1280 x 720
- Video format H.264
- Imaging Full Colour
- CMOS Auto-adaptive white/black balance and exposure
- Audio Speaker, Microphone
- Motion detection Adjustable sensitivity, Automatic email alerts and push notifications
- Digital pan and zoom. Yes
- Night vision. 850 nm LEDs: illuminates up to 25 feet, IR cut-off filter
- Battery, 2440mAh rechargeable battery
- Battery life varies based on settings, usage, & temperature
- Battery level indication Yes
- Field of view Field of view: 130°
- Focus range (ST) Fixed focus (2 ft to infinity)
- Operating temperature -4° to 113° F (-20° C to 45° C)
- Dimension 3.1 x 1.9 x 2.8 in (79.3 x 48.6 x 70.5 mm)
- Weight 4.8oz (136 g)
Setup, Support, & warranty,
The Setup is straightforward with minimal technology knowledge required. Download the app or click on the QR code to download the app. The initial setup on the smartphone and web took less than 10 minutes. The physically camera setup and networking takes minutes, but the positioning of the cameras required a higher skill knowledge. If the physical camera setup is done improperly, then there is a deterioration in battery life, quality, and motion detection can become a problem. There is an excellent Arlo Community support search option of FAQ which allowed questions asked, via the community of customers and experts. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Smart-Home-Security/ct-p/Arlo
This Netgear Arlo Pro is backed by a Netgear limited 1-year hardware warranty. 24/7 basic technical support provided for 90 days from purchase date, when purchased from a Netgear authorised reseller. The 1-year warranty is a disappointment for the Netgear product.
Requirements: Note there is an internet requirement of a minimum 1Mbps upstream recommended and an available port on the router.
The App: The Arlo app has downloads of approx. 1 million with a rating of 4.1 out of 5. The app gives clear instructions for the unit’s setup. The app allows viewing on the cameras live or during motion detect.
Video Storage: The Netgear Arlo Pro comes with a free storage option which allowed storage for 1 week for motion detect. This can be upgraded at a cost to other storage options increasing time limits or space available. There is an option to use an external USB drive max of 2TB connected directly to the base station. This has the advantage of dual storage, in case the camera system was stolen data is stored on the cloud, In the event of an external internet issues, local storage would be good. As a guideline using the best quality video settings, one hour of recordings is approximately 180 MB. Files
Video footage Library on cloud storage:
The 2440mAh rechargeable batteries are supplied fully charged which is great to get up and running quickly. Over 1 week with motion used only, the battery dropped from 100% to 90% indication a great battery life. There is an option for solar power charging. The video quality effects the battery life, setting the unit to best video quality reduces the battery life, whereas setting it to best battery life may reduce video quality. Battery life varies based on settings, usage, & temperature. Plugging in the camera via a USB lead recharges the battery, and allows you more features, including activity zones, video analytics, continuous video recording (CVR) plan, and the look back feature.
Wall mounts: The magnetic ball mount supplied was the best I have seen, no more struggling to fit a bracket on the wall then tighten the screws to ensure accurately focussing on the required area. The Netgear Arlo Pro camera snaps onto the magnetic ball mount which in turn is screwed to a wall. The camera can be adjusted easily to any angle via the magnet. There is also the option of Table and Ceiling Mount.
Modes: There are customised options available via the web site and phone app. The motion detect default is setup for push notifications to your smartphone, sending email alerts. This worked great, but I had to disable this feature due to motion alerts during the night causing the smartphone alerts. There are options to schedule the alerts during the week with options for each day / night. Turning off the alerts / push notification took minutes to find out how to via the support section.
Overview: The unit required little technical knowledge, (no internal networking, port- forwarding, App configuration) can be used indoor or outdoor ,Weather-resistant IP65 rating. There is no wiring required as wireless, the option to view on line via a laptop or smartphone. The app is a great app with no major bugs observed, (a slight lag in actual motion to video footage). There is the option to use the free service or upgrade to the paid subscriptions, or external storage up to 2TB. The battery option allowed great flexibility in choice of fitting location. The Video resolution was great, configurable up to 1280 x 720, with night vision similar due to 850 nm LEDs: illuminates up to 25 feet.
The wire-free options allow flexibility in use if used on a Farm calving camera, Monitor vehicle outside your property, ability to fit a camera without the need for wires, option to move the camera around as required.
Overall this unit was a pleasant surprise, the footage quality was excellent both day and night. Slightly let down with only a 1 year’s warranty. The wireless and battery option having to run no wires was a great bonus allowing the unit to be moved as required. This unit will not fulfil all user requirements due idiosyncrasies and limitations in term of features but this unit without a doubt will fulfil most requirement for most people without the need for highly expertise knowledge. This is an impressive practical CCTV system.
Further information available at: https://www.arlo.com/eu/products/arlo-pro/default.aspx