The world’s largest paper plane championship returns to Ireland. In Red Bull Paper Wings, across three categories, participants must retreat to simplicity without fuel, machines or engines and design a paper plane from a sheet of A4 paper and, dependent on the category, make it fly as far, long, or as artistically as possible, visit RedBullPaperWings.com to learn more and sign up.
Ireland will host three Qualiflyers and a National Final where the Distance and Airtime categories will be judged in person. Participants can alternatively submit an online entry in the Aerobatics category via TikTok. The national winner from each category (including Aerobatics) will be invited to compete at the Red Bull Paper Wings Final in the iconic Hangar-7 in Salzburg, Austria where the 2022 World Champions will be crowned.
Applications are now open with entries accepted across the following three categories;
- Distance: Simple, whoever throws their paper plane the furthest, wins. At the last World Final in 2019, the USA’s Jake Hardy topped the field with 56.61m.
- Airtime: Pilots must fold their planes for just the right aerodynamics to achieve the longest flight time. In 2019, Australia’s Cameron Clark snatched victory with 13.33 seconds!
- Aerobatics: This category is all about sensational aerobatic tricks – in the 2019 finale, Ukraine’s Kateryna Ahafonova scored the only perfect 10 with her creative paper plane performance. Pilots don’t need to show up at a Qualiflyer, instead, they can get creative with their paper planes at home and share their mastery on TikTok using the hashtags #RedBullPaperWings #Ireland and tag @RedBull when submitting their entries. The pilot with the most votes from a national judging panel – which considers the criteria of social engagement, flight performance and creativity of the performance and video – will make it to the World Final.
Applications for Qualiflyer events close 30 minutes before each event start-time, with online Aerobatics applications closing on 22nd April. Qualiflyers will be hosted at the following dates and locations;
- March 15th: TUD Grangegorman, East Quad (12:30pm – 2:30pm)
- March 16th: DCU, The Venue, U Building (12:30pm – 2:30pm)
- March 23rd: IT Carlow, Sports Hall, Barrow Centre (12:30pm – 2:30pm)