Qualcomm announced the Snapdragon 616 processor with 4G LTE support in their Snapdragon 600 lineup successor of the Snapdragon 615 SoC that was introduced last year. This has the same Quad-core ARM Cortex A53 + Quad-core ARM Cortex A53 arrangement, but the second set of Cortex A53 cores are clocked at 1.2GHz per core, compared to 1GHz in the Snapdragon 615 processor.
It has integrated X5 LTE Global Mode modem and the same Adreno 405 GPU present in the Snapdragon 615 chip. Qualcomm also introduced Snapdragon 212 and 412 processors with LTE recently. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 616 is already present in Huawei Maimang 4 smartphone that was released in China recently.
The chip maker also made Snapdragon 412 and 212 official. The 412, meanwhile, bumps up the Cortex-A53 from 1.2GHz to 1.4GHz and its memory interface now has a max of 600MHz compared to the 533MHz in the 410. The 212 takes off from the 616 with its single cluster of Cortex-A7 being upped to 1.3GHz from 1.1GHz in the 210.
Highlights of Qualcomm Snapdragon 616 SoC
- Quad-core 1.7GHz ARM Cortex A53 + quad-core 1.2GHz ARM Cortex A53 64-bit capable
- Built on 28nm LP process
- Adreno 405 GPU with DirectX 11.2 and Open GL ES3.0
- Integrated X5 LTE Global Mode modem, supporting LTE FDD, LTE TDD, WCDMA (DC-HSDPA, DC-HSUPA), CDMA1x, EV-DO, TD-SCDMA and GSM/EDGE
- LTE Broadcast and LTE multimode dual SIM
- 3rd gen power efficient LTE multimode transceiver with Qualcomm RF360 Front End
- LPDDR3 800MHz Single-channel 32-bit (6.4GBps)/eMMC 4.51 SD 3.0 (UHS-I)
- Supports up to Quad High Definition (2560×1600) displays
- Up to 21 MP camera
- 1080p playback at 60 fps with H.264 (AVC) and H.265 (HEVC) formats, 1080p capture at 30 fps with H.264 (AVC)
- Miracast support for wireless streaming of multimedia content
- Integrated Qualcomm VIVE 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO and Bluetooth 4.0 solutions.
- Qualcomm IZat Gen8C
- Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 technology
While leaving the masses disappointed as the highly anticipated Snapdragon 820 did not make it to the list.
Stay tuned for more tech buzz.