The Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi box is heavy with typical Devolo features clearly visible on the box. The three sockets are heavy and solid. The most noticeable feature of the kit is the plug socket allowing a separate plug to be plugged into the socket. The traditional socket means that you lose a wall socket when using a power extender. The socket is physically wider than a typical plug which may result in two plugs not fitting into the same socket. The Devolo focuses on magic but the technology via the home plugs allows broadband via the plug socket and then Wi-Fi to the other area expanding the home. The Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi Powerline used the power cable in the property to carry the data around your home or office.
- 2 x Devolo magic 2 Wi-Fi add-on adapters
- 1 x Devolo magic 2 LAN add-on adapter
- 1 x Ethernet
- User guide
The Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi features:
- Speeds up to 2400 Mbps
- Over distances up to 500 metres
- Security – with 128-bit AES Powerline encryption
- An integrated electrical socket
- A PLC button with LED status display
- A Wi-Fi button with LED status display
- Four internal Wi-Fi antennas,
- Two gigabit network connectors
- A reset button (next to the network connectors).
- Enchanting mesh Wi-Fi: Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi transmits data amazingly fast via the power lines thanks to the latest G.hn-standard, setting up its magical Wi-Fi umbrella with Wi-Fi ac, at any power socket
- Compatible with all routers, Devolo Magic adapters and HomeGrid Forum certified products; dLAN Powerline adapters and other HomePlug AV products are not supported
- Magical Internet from your wall socket: Incredible transmission speeds of up to 2400 Mbps and a range of up to 500 metres characterise the Devolo Powerline adapters;
- Enchantingly integrated: You can use Devolo Magic two Wi-Fi to connect mobile and stationary terminal devices quickly with the home network – wirelessly or via two Gigabit LAN connections on the housing
- Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi is compatible with all routers, Devolo Magic adapters and G.hn-based products.
The basic setup is easy; plug in the Devolo Magic Lan directly to the router, initially plug the other plug in the same room and allow the light to change to white (max 3 minutes). The initial setup requires the home plug connected to a max of 10 meters and wait for a white light. Press the home button and press the WPS button on the router within 2 min. Take a note of the Wi-Fi code on the back of the 2 Wi-Fi add-on adapters for use afterwards. Once the setup is done the individual Wi-Fi add-on adapters can be moved to other sockets in the house or garden. The plug socket must be on the same supply line and cannot be used with a surge protection extension socket.
Search for the Wi-Fi as normal and enter the Wi-Fi code on the back on the plugs. Once the setup has been completed the display is a white light which is better than a red light which is less distracting. Once set up, the speed was increased in the furthest bedroom. One of the Wi-Fi add-on adapters was placed in an external shed, this resulted in Wi-Fi signal at the end of the garden which normally had no Wi-Fi coverage. The internet speed increased with increased stability. The speed was listed as 2400 Mbps with a range of 500 m.
Software: Devolo Cockpit 5.0.1 – Windows
The software is optional and not required for normal use but if used it can give the option to use advanced features which you would expect in a business environment, this can enhance the security in your network. The setup of the software was not as straight forward as the initial setup. The initial setup required my antivirus to change and a reboot to pick up the Wi-Fi add-on adapter on the network.
The basic setup is easy for use with a standard setup to extend the coverage in a home. The advance (optional) setup in the software Devolo Cockpit had a few setup issues. The unit was connected in areas in the home that traditionally would have dropouts when watching Netflix and WhatsApp videos. These areas normally had no coverage or limited coverage. When using the Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi add-on adapters the coverage was excellent, validated with speed test sites getting a similar speed as connected beside the router. The Wi-Fi add-on adapter was connected to an IP CCTV, the connection was instant with no manual adjustment required, allowing IP video feeds to transfer clearly without latency. The Devolo kit will only expand the range of the current broadband from the router. If the Broadband speed is poor to the router / home the Wi-Fi add-on adapter will only expand the signal and not improve this.
The use of the Powerline cable within a property that has thick walls, floors, ceilings or foil back stud partitions block the signal and is overcome using the Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi box which used the internal wiring of the property. The Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi box has the added advantage of creating a new Wi-Fi hotspot or a wireless Mesh network which extends the range of the broadband. This is a genius bonus over the lower range having the extended Wi-Fi. The Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi has an advantage of allowing the use of a pass through plug but can be classed as large visually out of place in a home setting.
The initial cost of the unit may be classed as expensive but when struggling with poor broadband in an area, the Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi solves this problem effectively and easily. Technically this product does exactly as one would expect from a quality brand with a big thumbs up.