The Blips Full kit comes with a variety of pieces to allow your smartphone to become a microscope. The Blips lenses are fundamentally small lenses placed on a sticky pad applied to the smartphone’s camera / iPad. There are lenses with different magnifying power allowing difference magnifications. The Blips Full kit 2018 comes with a stand and light source to better illuminate the object.
- 1 Macro lens
- 1 Macro Plus lens
- 1 Micro lens
- 1 Ultra lens
- 1 smartphone stage
- 2 plain microscope slides
- 1 prepared microscope slide
- Free App (iOS, Android & Windows Phone compatible)
- Spare, multi-usable adhesive tape included
The kit comes with two lenses for turning your phone into a powerful, digital magnifying lens, plus two lenses for real microscopic observations
- Blips Macro Plus allows you to take high definition macro pictures, with an optical magnification of about 5 times. It is extremely thin, less than 1 mm (≈1/25 inches), and very user-friendly. It allows you to take crystal clear pictures of insects, flowers, small objects, details of everyday life. It’s working distance, i.e. the distance between the lens and the focal plane, is of about 20 mm (≈¾ inch).
- Blips Macro allows you to take high definition macro pictures, with an optical magnification of about 10 times. It is extremely thin, less than 1 mm (≈1/25 inch). This is the first step from “standard” photography toward portable microscopy. Its working distance, i.e. the distance between the lens and the focal plane, is of about 12mm (≈1/2 inch).
- Blips Micro helps you enter the realm of smartphone microscopy. Blips Micro allows you to recognize details of about 4.5 micron using your smartphone. BLIPS Micro, 1.2mm-thick (≈1/20 inch), turns your phone into a real digital microscope. You need to keep 6mm (¼ inch) between the lens and the sample under observation to discover tiny details at high definition. With the use of digital zoom, it is possible to achieve magnification over 100x.
- Blips Ultra permits the use of your smartphone for real microscopy applications.
Blips Ultra allows to recognize details of about 3.5 microns; you can see cells or other inhabitants of the micro-world, on your smartphone. BLIPS Ultra is less than 1.6mm-thick (≈1/16 inch), and it turns your phone into a real digital microscope. You need to keep ⅛ inch (3mm) between the lens and the sample under observation to discover tiny details at high definition. With the use of digital zoom, it is possible to achieve magnification over 150x.
The setup involves attaching the (1 of 4 supplied) lens to your smartphone like a piece of tape, the lens required to be carefully centered on the smartphone camera. The stand option can be used to stabilize your view on the object as required,
The fact that the lens just sticks onto your phone with tape makes it quick and easy to set up. Once the lens is fitted this removed the option to use the standard camera on your smartphone. The kit comprises a variety of small pieces which fit together, these have the potential to get lost is not packed away correctly. The stickiness of the tape could get worn down from a few weeks use ( if it gets dirty ) or fall off when in and out of a pocket The lens required to be fitted exactly centred.
The stand and light that comes with the kit can be used for stationary images while the smartphone camera can be used on its own holding it close to the image that requires magnification. The light source which can be positioned directly beneath the camera using the supplied bracket. Those that want a mobile magnifying power in a microscopic weather for curiosity or educational purposes would find this a technology with abundant features without breaking the bank.