The NETGEAR Orbi AC2200 RBK40 is described as a solution to cover a large area using a Tri-band Wi-Fi to deliver faster internet speed as devices connect. This also has the option to add additional units to expand this range. The units are less industrial looking than many technology office-based equipment, this can fit in with the decor of a family home.
- One (1) Orbi Router (RBR40)
- One (1) Orbi Satellite (RBS40)
- One (1) 2m Ethernet cable
- Two (2) 12V/2.5A power adapters
- Quick start guide
- Fast whole home Wi-Fi system – covers up to 250 M squared with high performance Wi-Fi; kit includes Wi-Fi router and satellites
- Tri-Band technology – unlike other Wi-Fi sets that lose speed as you add devices, Orbi routers maintain data flow for your connected devices using a dedicated backhaul connection
- Quick and easy setup – no need to create new accounts; just download the Orbi app, plug in your system and follow the instructions on your PC, Mac or mobile device to get your house on the net
- Guest network – easily set up a separate and secure Wi-Fi network for visitors and guests to use; an ideal web gear combo for movie streaming and gaming sessions with friends and family
- Compatible with Amazon Echo/Alexa – control your home network using voice commands
- Combined WiFi speed 2,200 Mbps (400 + 866 + 866Mbps)
- Coverage 250 M squared
- Dedicated Backhaul 2×2 (866 Mbps)
- WiFi Technology Tri-band
- Memory 4GB flash and 512MB RAM
- MU-MIMO Capable Yes
- Antennas Four (4) high-performance antennas
- Dimensions 6.4 x 3.1 x 8.0in (Router), 6.4 x 3.1 x 8.0in (Satellite)
- Weight 1.65lb (Router), 1.65lb (Satellite)
- Gigabit Ethernet ports (Router) 1 WAN and 3 LAN
- Gigabit Ethernet Port (per Satellite) 4 LAN
- Beamforming Yes
- Works with Orbi OS Yes
- Orbi App Yes
- Guest WiFi network Yes
- WPA/PSK2 support Yes
- Works with Amazon Alexa & the Google Assistant Yes
Note: If you have an old brick house with thick walls or allot of tinfoil plasterboard to improve your installation, older type cordless phone, or a mirror at the back your current router, you may experience low Wi-Fi range.
The setup required minimum technical knowledge and straightforward. Connect a network cable from the Netgear Orbi to your router, plug in the unit & watch as the light change colour until they become a solid colour. The satellite is recommended to be placed in the centre of the property and plugged in, leaving for under 2 minutes to get a connection to the Orbi router. The light then changes to a blue colour to indicate a strong connection, (amber indicted a poorer signal meaning the unit should be placed closer to the Orbi router). The phone / tablet/ laptops etc connect as normal using the Wifi code on the unit. Registration of the unit is done on line with the usual questions and backup security question
Setup video: The range can be further extended by using additional satellite units a daisy chain or star network topologies. The daisy chain networking allows you to connect either to the router or to the satellite increasing the range. Those of a technical nature can delve into other network functionality.
NETGEAR Orbi App:
This has Installs 50,000 – 100,000 with a rating of 4.1 out of 5, the installs app dashboard gives an overview of the network status.
- Settings. Manage your Orbi router and its WiFi settings.
- Device List. View a list of devices connected to your network with the ability to pause and resume WiFi for each.
- Guest WiFi. Create a guest WiFi network and securely share your network details with friends and family.
- Parental Controls. Enable Circle with Disney Smart Parental Controls on your Orbi System.
- Traffic Meter. Monitor data usage over time.
- Speed Test. Test the Internet speed of your service provider.
- Support. Access Orbi system information and the community forum.
Note: If you have poor internet coming to your business / home the NETGEAR Orbi will not speed it up, rather distribute WiFi evenly around your property.
What’s the warranty on my Orbi WiFi System?
NETGEAR products have a quality brand name, quality reputation and work well. The warranty should be a selling factor for this product, but unfortunately Netgear appear to hide behind bureaucracy of paperwork to advise on what’s not covered, returns or damaged etc . Throughout 5 separate worldwide sites, they fail to address a simple question, how long is the warranty for a NETGEAR Orbi product. Netgear leave you hanging like a Hitchcock movie, never answering the simple question.
http://www.netgear.com/about/warranty/ advise you to look on https://kb.netgear.com/31036/What-s-the-warranty-on-my-Orbi-system which in turn refers you back to the original site . This is my number 1 dislike of this great product, lack of clear information on the warranty period.
This unit was setup in the house, the data on the smart phone was turned off, only connected it via WiFi (without the NETGEAR Orbi) connected. A YouTube video was watched while slowly walking away from the router. This resulted in a drop-in signal of YouTube video just outside the front door. Again, the same exercise, but connected the NETGEAR Orbi, the range and quality increased while sitting in the car outside the house. The range increase was very noticeable and speed test improved with the use of the NETGEAR Orbi.
When the unit was used with 4 Laptops all watching a YouTube video, again the Wi-Fi signal seemed solid with the usual buffering or dropout previously experienced diminished. Various software apps were used as tests but the practically of real life viewing a video gave clear concrete confirmation of the range increase and sharing of bandwidth.
The Netgear Orbi provided fast, reliable internet around the home with minimum setup required. If you suffer from poor signal / drop out areas weather due to distance or apartment living with interference from other routers close by, Then the Netgear Orbi would provide a first-rate solution.