Thirty teenagers will compete in Ultimate Pitch Event at the Science Gallery Dublin, tomorrow, Saturday, 2nd September 2017, from 2:00pm to 4:00pm. The students, known as ‘Alphas’ are all members of the Trinity Walton Club (TWC), a STEMenrichment programme for second level students.
– A page-turning music stand, stress relieving headphones and a sign language glove are among the innovations in the competition –
– Winning team to be awarded a 3-D printed, revolving trophy –
The final six innovations being pitched tomorrow at the Ultimate Pitch Event are:
- Happy Head: a wearable that monitors brain activity for stress levels;
- Mental Health Now: an app to track and improve your mental health;
- Tortue: a backpack designed to minimise back pain;
- Double Treble: a page-turning music stand;
- Vegnet: a social platform for recipe sharing;
- Visiglove: a wearable glove that turns sign language to text and speech.
Each team has developed their innovation, pitch and presentation over the summer by using the lean canvas business development model through a series of summer workshops in partnership with Bank of Ireland’s innovation team.
The judging panel for the Ultimate Pitch Event will be:
- David Tighe, Head of Innovation, Bank of Ireland;
- Dr Vivienne Patterson, Head of Skills, Engagement and Statistics, HEA; and
- Elaine Burke, Managing Editor, Silicon Republic.
The winning team will be awarded a 3-D printed, revolving trophy that was specially designed for the Ultimate Pitch Event by TWC educator, Patrick Lynch, a PhD student in the Trinity School of Engineering. The trophy consists of an outer cog with two inner rings which rotate. These rings represent the complementary and interdisciplinary aspects of STEM and entrepreneurship.
The Ultimate Pitch Event and summer workshops were organised by Trinity Walton Club and facilitated by Director of Trinity Walton Club, Dr. Arlene Gallagher; Project Architect, Sarah Tully; and Entrepreneur in Residence in Bank of Ireland, Gene Murphy. For further information about Trinity Walton Club: http://www.tcd.ie/waltonclub/index.php